NIF: New driver responsibilities
Members will be aware of the ongoing consultation regarding the NIF Trains design and the proposed “final operating model” tabled by NSW Trains in June 2019.
For the information of those members who were unable to attend the recent RTBU NIF Tour, the following are new accountabilities/responsibilities proposed to be allocated by NSW Trains to InterCity drivers operating the NIF.
Additional Driver Tasks/Duties:
- Full accountability/responsibility for all elements of on-train operation
including safe working requirements
- Designation of, and accountability for, operational tasks to Customer Service Guard
- Responsible and accountable for Platform train interface and train door operations utilising external CCTV and ASDO (Automatically Selected door Operation)
- Train fault detection, management and reporting
- Utilisation of MSDO (Manually Selected Door Operation)
- Sole responsibility for IEDR Override
- Responsible and accountable for boarding assistance management utilising the TMS
- Provision of boarding assistance when Station Staff or Customer Service Guard are unavailable
- Transpositions, accountability for management/application of electronic transpositions via TMS
- Provision of manual announcements when Customer Service Guard, NSCC or Station Staff cannot.
- Preparation – all duties undertaken solely by the driver
- Stabling- fault detection and reporting solely by the driver
- Conduct over carry checks in yard and responsible for safe removal of over carried passengers
- Amalgamation – all duties undertaken solely by the driver
- Division – all duties undertaken solely by the driver
- Yard Departure/Arrival- all duties undertaken solely by the driver
- Empty Car Running- all duties undertaken solely by the driver
The Locomotive Division has been informed by NSW Trains that they do not see any significant increase in remuneration in what they are proposing. Whilst the Locomotive Division remains opposed to various design elements in the full circular below, we will continue to reject any attempt by NSW Trains to undervalue any increase to Drivers wages as a result of an increase in responsibility and workload.