Angry about cuts to Penalty rates? Here’s what you can do
Cuts to Sunday and public holiday penalty rates will hurt hundreds of thousands of workers across the country – and while it might not affect our industry directly, workers in hospitality, retail, fast food and pharmacy will lose up to $6,000 a year. Those cuts will flow on to affect every industry – already reports are suggesting this could hasten the “mass casualisation” of the Australian workforce.
Unions NSW has put together of list of things you can do to stand up for Australian workers.
Here’s how you can take action:
- Join your union The Liberals are trying to steal our wages. The best way to protect your pay and conditions is to JOIN YOUR UNION and get your co-workers to join too.
- Sign the petition
- Write a letter to the editor
- Email your MP
- Talk to your friends, workmates and neighbours and get them involved. Use this fact sheet or petition to get the conversation started. You can also get your workplace to pass a resolution opposing the cuts to penalty rates, there’s more information on how to do that here.
- Ask your local businesses to pledge support for staff and vow not to cut penalty rates.
- Check out businesses that have committed to preserve penalty rates and you can see who’s on the record as supporting the penalty rate cuts here.
- Tell your story about why penalty rates matter to you.
- There are more resources to get you started here or check out the latest news.